Puran Polis can be made of chana dal as well as toovar dal. Its unique flavour and characteristic aroma can be attributed to the special indian spices used.
For The Dough:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsp oil
- Water as per requirement
- 1 cup toovar (arhar) dal
- 1 cup Jaggery
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- ½ tsp Cardamom Powder
- ½ tsp Nutmeg Powder
For the dough:
- Combine the flour, oil & water in a bowl and knead into soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 15 equal portions and keep aside.
- Combine the dal with 1½ cups of water and pressure cook it for 4 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Drain excess water and mash the dal lightly using the back of the spoon
- Heat the ghee in a wok, add the Dal & Jaggery and cook on medium flame till the mixture thickens. Stir continuously so that it does not burn at the bottom.
- Add the cardamom powder & nutmeg powder and mix well.
- Let it cool and then divide it into 15 equal portions. Keep aside.
To Roll out Puran Polis:
- Roll out one portion of the dough into Round Roti
- Place a portion of the filling in the centre and fold the edges of the dough over the filling. Pinch the edges together to seal the filling in.
- Flatten the dough and roll again, using a little wheat flour for rolling.
- Roast the Puran Poli on a tava on a medium flame till it turns golden brown in colour on both the sides.
- Repeat with the remaining dough and filling to make 14 puran polis.
- Smear a little ghee on each puran poli and serve hot.