Moong Dal Khasta Kachori is an ideal sweet and tangy chaat to be served during festive seasons and even otherwise. The final garnishing makes it so tempting that no one would ever be able to resist it! These Khasta Kachoris can be made in advance and this way you also can relish them with your guests instead of sweating in the kitchen.
Moong Dal Khasta Kachori
For The Dough:
- 1/2 Cup Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Cup Maida
- 1/4 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Oil
- Cold Water For Binding
For The Filling:
- 1/2 cup readymade Moong Dal Namkeen
- 1 teaspoon Hing (asafoetida)
- 2 teaspoon Ajwain
- 2 teaspoon each – Cumin powder, Coriander powder, Red chilli powder, Dry Mango powder, Fennel powder, Pomegranate Seeds powder – (anardana), Chaat masala)
- Oil for deep frying
For The Garnishing:
- Strained curd
- Green chutney
- Tamrind chutney
- Coriander leaves
Method For Making The Dough:
- Mix the flour, salt and oil. Apply a small amount of oil on your fingers and palm while binding the flour.
- Add the chilled water slowly, and keep mixing. Add just enough water to get all the dough together and knead to make soft and smooth dough.
- Cover the dough and let it rest for at least fifteen minutes.
Method For The Filling:
- Crush the Moong Dal Namkeen in BOSS Cyclone to a coarse powder.
- In a pan dry roast all the masalas for filling and mix nicely with crushed namkeen, adjust salt and seasoning as per taste.
Method For Making The Kachori:
- Once the dough has rested for 15 minutes, knead the dough just once more to make it smooth. Divide the dough in large lemon size equal parts.
- Take one part of the dough and with your fingers flatten the edges and make into 3-inch circle. Leaving center little thicker then edges around.
- Mold the dough into a cup and place 1 teaspoon of filling in the center. Pull the edges of the dough to wrap the dal filling. Repeat with the rest. Let the filled ball rest for 3 to 4 minutes before rolling.
- Set the kachoris on a surface with the seams facing up. Using the base of your palm, slowly flatten them into about 3 inch circle.
- Preheat oil for deep frying in a frying pan on medium heat. Fry these stuffed moong dal kachoris on medium-low heat. After they start to puff, slowly turn them over to the other side. Fry until golden-brown on both sides.
- Remove them out on a tissue paper so that it can soak the extra oil.
- Break the center with a spoon and add strained curd, green chutney and tamarind chutney.
- You can garnish it with sev and coriander leaves.