Moong dal halwa is a classic Rajasthan dessert mostly prepared in the winter months and it helps in keeping the body warm to protect against the bitter cold. Soft in texture, golden in color, this moong dal delicacy is a delicious delight that’s prepared with lot’s of fun and a little patience!
Moong Dal Halwa
Preparation time: 6 hours
Cooking time: 1 hour
Total time: 7 hours
Ingredients: (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1 Cup moong dal
- 9 to 10 Tablespoon ghee
- 4 Green cardamoms
- 10 to 12 Unsalted pistachios chopped
- 10 to 12 Blanched sliced almonds
- 1 Cup full fat whole milk
- 2 Cups water
- 1 or 1½ Cup regular sugar
- Soak moong dal in enough water overnight for 4 to 5 hours, drain and grind in Boss Crown Mixer Grinder 750 Watt to a smooth paste with ¼ cup water.
- Melt ghee in a non-stick pan, add moong dal paste and stir well to cook the halwa on low flame until the raw aroma of the moong lentils goes away.
- In another pan, add milk water and sugar. Stir for sugar to dissolve and comes to boil.
- As the moong dal mixture reaches granular consistency, add boiled milk-water-sugar mixture to it.
- Stir well, simmer and cook until the ghee gets separated.
- Lastly add cardamoms, chopped pistachios, sliced almonds and serve it hot.