Dahivada is a famous north Indian dish made with lentils and yoghurt, loved by people of all age group. Easy to digest and healthy diet, it tastes best when served with lunch or dinner.
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Ingredients: (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 500 gmUrad dal
- 1/2 Tbsp Baking powder
- 2 cup Yogurt (curd)
- 1/2 Tbsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 Tbsp Black salt
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Refined oil
- 1Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp Chaat masala
- Ginger to taste
- Chopped coriander leaves
- 2 Green chilli
- 2 Tbsp Tamarind paste
- Soak the urad dal overnight and grind with Boss Excel Dx Mixer Grinder to make fine paste by adding little water. Add salt, baking powder and beat the batter well till it’s light and fluffy.
- The batter should be thick enough to make the vada.
- Pre-heat oil in a deep frying pan. Take little batter in hand and shape it up in lemon size ball.
- With light hand, flatten the top of the ball and drop in hot oil. Deep fry on medium and low heat till it turn into golden brown. Now remove these deep-fried vadas in a bowl of water and let it soak for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Gently press the vadas between your palms to remove excess water. Repeat the same process to make more vadas from remaining batter.
- Pass the yogurt through a sieve to ensure that there are no lumps. Add salt and sugar and mix well.
- To prepare the Dahivada Masala, dry roast cumin seeds till it turn light brown and release fragrance. Grind it with Boss Excel Dx Mixer Grinder to make smooth powder.
- Fine chop green chillies and coriander leaves. Scrap the ginger clean, wash and cut into julienne.
- Place the vadas in a serving bowl and pour the curd mixture evenly over the vadas and cover them completely. Sprinkle chat masala powder, red chilli powder and cumin powder to give taste.
- Serve with tamarind and green chutney.