Start snacking healthy with this amazing and easy recipe for granola bar. These are really the perfect bar for a hearty snack because they keep you full for hours and don’t provide a sugar overload.
Crispy Nutty Granola Bars
Total time: 35 min
Servings: 12 – 16 Granola Bars
Ingredients: (1 cup = 250 ml)
- 1½ Cups old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 2/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ½ Cup honey
- 3 tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tbsp salt
- 1 cup crisp rice cereal, such as Rice Krispies
- Preheat the BOSS Desire OTG to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Spread the oats, walnuts and almonds onto prepared baking sheet. Place in the oven and toast for 7 minutes. Add coconut and toss well, then place back in the BOSS Desire OTG to cook about 6-8 minutes more. Keep an eye on it towards the end; you want the coconut to turn golden but not burn.
- In the meantime, combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, vanilla extract and salt in a small saucepan and place BOSS Desire OTG to medium heat. Stir with a whisk until the brown sugar is completely dissolved. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Once the oat mixture is done, remove it from the oven and reduce heat to 300°F. Combine the oat mixture, honey mixture and rice cereal in a large bowl and toss well. (Reserve aluminum foil.)
- Use the reserved foil to line a 9×13-inch baking dish, then spray foil with nonstick cooking spray. Turn granola bar mixture out into the prepared baking dish and spread evenly, being careful not to press down too hard. Bake for 20 minutes (be sure heat is reduced to 300°F). Remove from the oven and cool completely, about 1-1½ hours. Use the foil overhang to transfer bars to cutting board, then use a large knife to cut into rectangles. Store in a single layer in an airtight container for up to a week (do not stack the bars or they will stick together and fall apart).
- You can swap in your favorite nuts and seeds as long as you keep the proportions of dry to wet ingredients the same. You can also toss in some dried fruit. On occasion, you can even sprinkle some chocolate chips over top for the kids (you can’t mix them in or they’ll melt).
- Be sure your oven is fully preheated before toasting nuts; the initial blast of heat to preheat the oven can burn them.
- Freezer-Friendly Instructions: The granola bars can be frozen for up to 3 months. Let them cool completely and store in an airtight container separating layers with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Before serving, remove them from the container and let them come to room temperature.