Baklava is a middle eastern sweet/dessert made from phyllo sheets and nuts that are soaked in sugar syrup. If you have the ready made phyllo sheets, you can make these baklava rolls in about 30 minutes and have an exquisite dessert for the festive season.
For Phyllo Sheets
- 8 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Teaspoons White Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1 ¼ Cup Hot Water
For The Filling
- 1/2 cup Almonds powdered
- 1/2 cup Walnuts powdered
- 1/2 cup Pistachios powdered
- 1/2 cup Castor Sugar
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon powder
For The Syrup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Finely Chopped Pistachios
For Phyllo Sheets
- Add 6 cups of flour to a large bowl. Add water and vinegar and mix well. Add the olive oil and continue mixing, adding more water if needed to make soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead with hand until the dough is soft, malleable and smooth.
- Divide the dough into 18-20 equal pieces and roll each piece out to a rough oval shape, about 18-19 inches across, sprinkling the work surface and phyllo with flour to keep from sticking.
- Your Phyllo Sheets are ready!
For the Filling
- In a bowl, add all the ingredients and mix well.
For Making the Rolls
- In a large bowl combine all the filling ingredients, except butter and keep aside.
- Take the Phyllo Sheets and fold it into half and butter the side which is facing up.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the filling mixture at the short end in one line and roll the sheet. As you roll, keep applying butter on the rolled side up.
- Once halfway through rolling add about 2 tablespoons of the filling mix along the same short side. Now roll the sheet completely till the end.
- Repeat the same procedure for the remaining sheets. Cut each roll into 3 pieces. Arrange the rolls into a baking sheet. Brush the rolls again lightly with butter.
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 degrees, place the rolls in the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until it turns golden brown.
For the Syrup
- Boil the sugar and water until you get one thread consistency.
- This will take about 15 minutes. Once the consistency is reached, add lemon juice.
Final Step for the Baklava Rolls
- Once the Baklava rolls are baked and the syrup is warm, pour the syrup over the rolls.
- Allow the rolls to soak in the syrup for about 8 hours in room temperature.
- Garnish with broken pistachios for a delicious tasting Baklava.