Onam celebrations are incomplete without the traditional lunch. Aviyal is a delicious traditional side dish served as an accompaniment to rice. Try this special dish tomorrow on occasion of Onam.
Preparation time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Servings: 4 – 6
- Raw Plantain (Raw banana) – 1 No
- Elephant foot yam (200 gm)
- Drumstick 1 No
- Ash gourd 150 gm
- French Beans (Green beans 4 Nos)
- Snake gourd 100 gm
- Green chilli; 4 Nos
- Turmeric powder 1 pinch
- Grated coconut 1 Cup
- Cumin seeds ½ Teaspoon
- Curd ½ Cup
- Curry leaves 2 Sprigs
- Coconut oil 1½ Tablespoon
- Water 1½ Cup
- Salt to Taste
- Wash the vegetables very well. Peel and cut it into 2 inches (lengthwise) pieces.
- Slice green chillies (lengthwise)
- Cook the vegetables in a covered vessel by adding green chillies, water, salt and turmeric powder on a low flame till it becomes tender and dry (Do not overcook it or burn it)
- Mix the vegetables with coconut oil.
- Grind grated coconut and cumin seeds by adding little water to a coarse paste.
- Add the ground paste into the cooked vegetables along with curry leaves and combine it well. Heat it in a low flame for 3 minutes.
- Pour lightly beaten curd to this and mix it. Remove from the fire, add coconut oil; mix and combine it.
- Serve Avial (Aviyal) as an accompaniment to rice.