Gujiya in Hindi or Karanji in Marathi and Gugra in Gujrati, this delicious dish has so many names. Here we present you a new version of it! Hope you all like it.
(Measuring Cup Used, 1 Cup = 250 ml)
- For The Outer Pastry/Shell
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- ⅓ Cup Melted Ghee or Butter
- ⅓ Cup Cold Water
For The Apple-Khoya Filling:
- 1 Cup Crumbled Khoya/Mava/Evaporated Milk
- 3-4 Medium Sized Apples, peeled and Chopped
- ½ tsp Cinnamon Powder
- ½ tsp Cardamom Powder or Crushed Cardamom
- 2-3 tbsp Chopped Nuts – Almonds, Pistachios, Cashews
- 2-3 tbsp Sugar
- Oil for Deep Frying
Preparing the pastry
- In a large bowl sieve the flour and salt together. Add the melted Ghee or butter and rub it in the flour with your fingertips till the mixture resembles bread crumbs or coarse meal.
- Add cold water gradually and knead the flour into smooth dough. Keep it aside for 30mins.
Preparing the sweet stuffing:
- Heat a pan and add apples along with sugar and stir on a low flame for 10-12 minutes.
- Add the spice powders and mix well. After 4-5 minutes, add khoya and stir again.
- As khoya begins to melt, continue stirring and add the chopped dry fruits and mix it with the mixture.
- Switch off the gas once khoya has completely melted. Keep this mixture aside till it cools.
For the gujiyas:
- Make medium sized balls from the dough and roll them into round puris.
- Pour a few tsps of the Apple-Khoya filling on half side of the puri.
- Apply water on one of the outer edges and fold the puri into semi-circle and press the edges together.
- Pleat the gujiya neatly from top to end. Repeat the procedure for remaining Gujiyas.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed wok. Fry the gujiyas on a medium flame till they are golden browned from all sides.
- Gujiyas are ready to serve!